VAWA Lawyer in Cary, North Carolina

Immigration laws give options and waivers to spouses and children of an abusive U.S. citizen relative. Victims can apply for the petition with the knowledge of the abuser, or they can go through a self-petitioning process. By self-petitioning, the battered spouse/child may apply for immigration status without the knowledge or involvement of the abuser.

After checking your eligibility to apply under VAWA, you must provide extensive evidence of the abuse you have endured by a U.S. citizen relative. If the VAWA petition is approved, the petitioner is granted deferred action status. This means the person will not be at risk of deportation even after divorcing or separating from the abusive partner. Applicants will also be eligible for work authorization after their petition is approved.

What happens if my spouse or parent is not a U.S. citizen but a permanent resident?

If your relative is only a resident, then the VAWA application will take longer, but it can still be done. In this case, you must wait for an immigrant visa to be approved and after that, you might qualify for permanent residence. When applying for permanent residence, the government will check your records. You might be denied residence if the government finds the following records:

-Involvement with drug-related crimes.
-Involvement in prostitution.
-Have committed visa fraud.
-Have been previously deported.

If you are a victim of abuse, and you are in a deportation proceeding, what can happen?

Battered spouses or children of U.S. citizens who are the subjects of deportation proceedings may also be eligible to apply as a self-petitioner through VAWA cancellation of removal. If you are in process of removal or are a spouse or child of a U.S. citizen who is an abuser, call 984-218-9450 to our Cary, North Carolina office.

Areas of Practice
Our mission is to advise you and protect your legal rights here in the United States

Work Visas

In order to get a job in the United States, you need a work permit, which is legally an employment authorization document.


An asylum or refugee is a form of protection offered to people who are already in or arriving in the United States


The Fiancé(e) Visa is for U.S. citizens who wish to bring a fiancé(e) who is a foreign citizen

Pardon of illegal presence

The process of provisional exemption for unlawful presence does not change the immigrant visa process.


The Secretary of DHS may designate a country to TPS due to the following temporary conditions

Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence is a serious problem for the family, particularly the family that has an undocumented person.


Deportation of a family member from this country is a life-changing event.La deportación de un familiar de este país es algo que le cambia la vida.


The Residency process is an extremely important step in the immigration process.

American Citizenship

Our immigration law firm can help you become a U.S. citizen.

Criminal Defense

If you have been arrested or are under investigation for a crime, you should hire a defense attorney who can make the difference between keeping your record clean and staying out of jail.

Family Rights

Through family-based immigration, our goal is to keep families together.

Request a
Free Consultation
We will do our best to to help you. Please leave your information so we can contact you.

    Miami, Florida
    28 W. Flagler St. Str 710
    Miami, FL 33130
    Cary, North Carolina
    106 Fountain Brook Circle, Suite D
    Cary, NC 27511
    Clinton, North Carolina
    2164 Southeast Blvd
    Clinton, NC 28328
    McAllen, Texas
    1508 W Dove Ave, Suite D
    McAllen, TX 78504
    Immokalee, Florida
    550 New Market Rd E, Suite #6
    Immokalee, FL 34142
    Atlanta, Georgia
    2014 Beaver Ruin RD #102 Norcross
    Atlanta, Georgia 30071